Friday, July 18, 2008

Opening Night in Shenzhen

We have arrived in Shenzhen, and opened last night. It's a very special run in this city, because the opening and closing shows are to benefit survivors of the huge earthquake.

Before the show, the actors were invited to sign a huge poster in the lobby sending thoughts and wishes to the earthquake victims. The Shenzhen Grand Theatre is just gorgeous, and the backstage area is by far my favorite that we've seen. There are so many small dressing rooms, most of us only have to share with one or two other people, and there is a beautiful, clean, western toilet in every room! I share with Maddy (Liesl), which is a perfect situation for both of us.

We had our own unfortunate drama backstage during the show last night. I was changing from my nightgown (Lonely Goatherd scene) into the "curtains" outfit, when I heard a strange cry that sounded like an animal being kicked. I kid you not - it did not sound human. Then I heard sobbing, and looked over, and saw that little CJ, our Marta, was crying. As soon as I was dressed, I went over to her to find out what was wrong. It turned out that her dresser had accidentally zipped her skin into the zipper of her costume! Ouch! That would make anyone cry! But she's a tough kid, and with the comfort of the wrangler and other adults around, she was able to pull it together and finish the show perfectly. Poor girl!

At the end of the curtain call, a number of children who survived the earthquake came onstage for a flower presentation, and sang part of Do Re Mi with us. It was really amazing to see these young kids who have been through so much, yet were able to smile and laugh with us onstage. Maddy (Liesl), Christine (Maria), Michael (Captain), and I were taken out to the lobby afterwards to take some photos with more of these kids, which was really nice. One little girl came up to me to get a photo taken with me, then gave me a huge hug! I wish that we had had more time to talk to them (with an interpreter, for those who didn't speak English) and hear about their stories, but it was the middle of the night and everyone had to go home. It was a really amazing thing to happen for our show, though.

Today we have an understudy rehearsal all afternoon, because our two child swings will go on twice this weekend: once as their younger roles (Gretl and Kurt), then once as their older roles (Marta and Friedrich). Poor Brigitta doesn't get anyone swung in for her! We also have two new adult understudies who are learning their parts, so the rehearsal will benefit them as well. I really enjoy understudy rehearsals because, for one thing, it's a lot of fun to see how the understudy principals interpret their roles in their own way! It's also funny to try to put the show together without the principals there, and without our director. Wonderful Donavan, the stage manager, runs the rehearsals, but even he is not all-knowing and all-seeing, and there are sometimes small staging questions that we have to solve for ourselves. By the end of rehearsal, the adults often get quite slap-happy, which makes for a good time overall! Also, we'll be in the theatre area for dinner between the rehearsal and the show, and there is a lot of good food there, and ... a Starbucks! I find that coffee improves my performance a lot. :)

I've been struggling with a strange cough for the past few days, but the shows have still been fine for me. I was worried that I might lose my voice, but apparently the powers that be decided that I would turn out okay! I can't figure out what was wrong with me, because I never actually felt sick, but have just been battling a cough -- and I'm not a big cougher, in general! I get sore throats and colds, not coughs. But it's not a problem for the show, thank goodness.

We have a big weekend coming up, starting with a press event early tomorrow morning (ouch!), then two shows all in one day. Two more shows on Sunday, then a day off Monday! I might go into Hong Kong with Maddy that day, before our last two shows next week. It's going to be a fun run in Shenzhen!

No comments: